RSS

DUI Checkpoint Tonight

Born On Beat Filed Under: Tags: ,
Hey all, the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Dept. will be conducting a DUI/driver's license checkpoint tonight in the SCV between 7pm and 3am at an undisclosed location.

I know that it is required by federal law for them to announce the checkpoints before they set them up, but I was also under the impression that they had to disclose the location. Apparently, I was wrong. To me, it doesn't make sense. It's unconstitutional to stop citizens when they haven't done anything wrong, so if they are going to do so, I believe they should have to at least announce where.

Deputies hope that if drivers know that there will be checkpoints on the road, it will help to prevent them from drinking and driving in the first place. I am all for that. I wish upon no one the fines and penalties one must go through after receiving a DUI, and most importantly the dangers they cause on the road. But, speaking from a strictly constitutional view point, I believe that police should have to disclose the location of these checkpoints.

The only information given about the location is that it will be based on the DUI activity in that area. Not quite sure what that means, but if I were to speculate, I would say it probably means the check point will be in the downtown Newhall area close to The VU.

So, if you're planning on going out and drinking tonight, please make sure to have a designated driver. Also, I would like to hear your comments and views on the constitutional controversy these checkpoints bring up. Have a good night, and please be safe!

-pb


UPDATE via The Signal:

Deputies will determine the location of the checkpoint based on previous DUI activity and statistics, and will announce the location at a later time.


edit post

0 Responses to "DUI Checkpoint Tonight"

Post a Comment