RSS

Establishing a New Quiet Zone

Born On Beat Filed Under: Tags: ,
I live in the blue condos at the corner of Soledad and Rainbow Glen, just a stones throw from the loudest train crossing in the entire SCV. I really could care less about the daytime trains, especially the smaller passenger ones. However, the cargo trains that run late at night are driving me up the wall, or at least out of bed.

I decided to jump on Google today, to try and find written laws of trains using their horns at intersections. To my dismay, they are required to sound their horn for a minimum of 15 seconds (max. 20 seconds) at a minimum level of 96dB (max. 110dB).


DAMN!


Hopefully, all is not lost though. I stumbled across an official Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) article which states the rules of establishing a new 'Quiet Zone'.


In short, the rules are:


A new quiet zone must be at least ½ mile in length and have at least one public highway-rail grade crossing. Every public grade crossing in a new quiet zone must be equipped at minimum with the standard or conventional flashing light and gate automatic warning system. A quiet zone may be established to cover a full 24-hour period or only during the overnight period from 10:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.


Hmm, could this be applied to my intersection? I'm going to make a valiant effort to find out.


Stay tuned for further updates on my cause to try and save some people some much deserved sleep!


-pb

edit post

0 Responses to "Establishing a New Quiet Zone"

Post a Comment